Saturday, October 11, 2008

I am the King of the Road

My first ever 21K! I initially planned on just doing 10K but after completing almost 16K during one practice run and words of encouragement (or should I say peer pressure :P) from some HF members I decided to do 21K at the last minute.
I played volleyball last Thursday (semi-finals in the ADB tournament where we won against ADB) and Friday (one day ITAP volleyball tournament where we emerged as champions). With little training and a bit tired from the previous nights volleyball games, I managed to wake-up at 3:30am and I arrived past 5 at the Fort to met up with the Happy Feet group.
I did not have any problems with the Buendia route. Sensei John, Bobby, Roselle and me had a good pace and there was plenty of water at the water stations. I was pacing with Roselle on our way back to the Fort but decided to run on my own after we went down Buendia flyover.
The route towards Heritage was really a challenge. First, the heat was terrible. I could feel it burning my skin. Second, water ran out at the remaining water stations towards the finish line. I felt really dehydrated and started running at a slower pace. In the end, I managed to push myself and finished with an unofficial time of 2 hours and 35 minutes.
After the run, I drowned myself with plenty of water and ate the oatmeal bar and banana that were given out after the race. I felt happy and fullfilled that I was able to complete 21K. I am looking forward to next runs and would definitely go for a PR on my next 21K.
Also, the race would not be complete without the usual photo ops.
Before the run


HAPPY FEET!

Tiffin, Mark and Me

Me and Jay (Prometheus Cometh)


Happy Feet with Kenyan runner Sarah

No comments: